Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Evolution of an Idea


This is an 11 x14" landscape I started Sunday. I was playing with the idea of a split scene - a huge compositional risk. Dividing the canvas in half and all that. My main tree did wind up rather spot on dead center. I added two more distant trees. And while I liked the yellows in the lower left I felt they were too close to the edge. The first major revision had the water on the left smoothed out and unified more but this did not bring the painting along far enough. I also felt the mass of darks in the middle needed to be broken up some.
And here is what is finally the final version. In addition to the light values on the distant water I added more texture and some slight verticals to the bushes on the right and some dabs here and there to the path.

At this point I think I'm done.

No comments: